I'm constantly thinking, observing, learning and trying to find simple solutions for everyday problems.
- Product Thinker.
- A boring designer - Simple (not simplistic), pragmatic, conscientious, hungry & foolish.
- "Less, but better" design philosophy.
- Inspired by Dieter Rams, Jason Fried, AR Rahman, BLJ, Vandana, Vikas & JP.
- Ardent fan of Signal Vs Noise, Google, Apple, Nest, Ikea, Uber, Simple, Square & Cleartrip.
- 18 years of humanizing technology - Ideation to Execution.
- Ex Lead Designer and Product Manager for Newton Mail (CloudMagic Inc. 2013 - 2019).
Acquired by Andy Rubin’s Essential Products in Dec 2018.
I owned the product vision, designed the product with a team of 4 and worked closely with the tech team to build an email app from ground up on all major devices that offered a distraction free emailing experience with just enough features for modern-day solopreneurs's business communication. We launched CloudMagic Mail in 2013, which instantly became one of the breakout email apps across platforms, with love and support from over 4 million users. Later in 2016, we re-launched the service as a subscription-based premium email app called Newton, and over 40,000 paid subscribers signed up and have been our loyal users since. The press, critics and our users loved Newton for its modern take on emailing and the overall user experience.
"It isn’t IA writer for email, but it’s damn close." - The Verge
"Newton is the rare email app that works great on both Windows and Mac." - Engadget
"While I'm excited to see what kind of work Google continues to do with Gmail, I don't see myself leaving Newton anytime soon." - Android Central
"Email worth paying for!" - Fast Company
"The best email app" - WSJ
- Previously Product Designer at Sapient Nitro (Publicis), July Systems (Cisco) and various startups (2000-2013).
- I write on Medium.
- I'm on Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram.
- If you think I can add value to your product team, please hit me up: mail at umeshgopinath.com