Thinking, observing, learning and trying to design simple solutions for everyday problems.
- Product Thinker.
- A boring designer - Simple (not simplistic), pragmatic, conscientious, hungry & foolish.
- "Less, but better" design philosophy.
- Inspired by Dieter Rams, Jason Fried, AR Rahman, BLJ, Vandana, Vikas & JP.
- Ardent fan of Signal Vs Noise, The Matrix, Google, Apple, Nest, Ikea, Uber, Simple, Square & Cleartrip.
- 18 years of humanizing technology - Ideation to Execution.
- Co-Founder & Designer at Kubera (Since 2019).
Kubera helps you keep track of your wealth — net worth, portfolio & asset values. It also ensures safe transfer of critical information to your beneficiary.
"Newton Mail founder returns with launch of personal net worth tracker, Kubera" - Techcrunch
- Head of Design at Newton Mail (CloudMagic Inc. 2013 - 2019).
Acquired by Andy Rubin’s Essential Products in Dec 2018.
I owned the product vision, designed the product with a team of 4 and worked closely with the tech team to build an email app from ground up on all major devices that offered a distraction free emailing experience with just enough powerful features for modern-day solopreneur's business communication.
CloudMagic Mail was launched in 2013, which instantly became one of the breakout email apps across platforms, with love and support from over 4 million users. Later in 2016, we re-launched the service as a subscription-based premium email app rebranded Newton, and over 40,000 paid subscribers signed up and have been our loyal users since. The press, critics and our users loved Newton for its modern take on emailing and the delightful user experience.
"It isn’t IA writer for email, but it’s damn close." - The Verge
"Newton is the rare email app that works great on both Windows and Mac." - Engadget
"While I'm excited to see what kind of work Google continues to do with Gmail, I don't see myself leaving Newton anytime soon." - Android Central
"Email worth paying for!" - Fast Company
"The best email app" - WSJ
- Previously designer at Sapient Nitro (Publicis), July Systems (Cisco) and various startups (2000-2013).
- I design simple, beautiful and engaging products that make happy customers. I’m excited about working on user focussed products that are inventing new or re-imagining legacy product and service user experiences. If you think I can add value to your product, please hit me up: mail at umeshgopinath.com
- You can also find me on Twitter, Medium, Linkedin and Instagram.